HELL-OH, FELLOW ROCK STARS! And welcome to this brand-new Internet podcast, brought to you by the good folks at Oh, a Rock! Studios! Join me (Paul Franzen, Oh a Rock's Head Boy) and Michael Gray (writer of Cat President, Francy Droo and more) as we talk about the games we're making, the games we're playing, and how aspiring developers don't have to be "aspiring" anymore; they can just be developers. (And also make dumb jokes. Lots of dumb jokes.)
In this episode, we use 2008's The Hardy Boys: The Hidden Theft as a jumping-off point for a bunch of adventure-game-related (and not-so-related) discussion, like:
- Adventure games with multiple playable characters
- Multiplayer point-and-click adventure games (WHY ISN'T THIS A THING?)
- Introducing Candy Crush mechanics to the adventure-game genre
- Tutorials where you only use the mechanics in the tutorial itself
- Puzzles involving friendly birds
- Cleaning out the player's inventory by getting eaten by a snake
- Paul still holding a grudge against the crate puzzles in Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon over a decade later
- "Yo, Hamlet! I wish I wasn't dead already!"
- Including stuff from your fans in your games, like answering machine messages or pictures of their cats
- When series' canon gets too big and bloated
- Uncomfortable flirting between Ace Attorney characters
If you have questions about game development or any of our games, e-mail them to email@example.com, and we'll answer them on the air! You can also follow us on Twitter; I'm @PaulMFranzen, and Michael is @arglefumph.